Suggestions for IPDAS Quality Dimensions
IPDAS is an international collaboration that aims to enhance the quality and
effectiveness of patient decision aids.
To this end, IPDAS has created an IPDAS Checklist that can be used as an evidence-informed framework
for improving the content, development, and evaluation of patient decision aids.
[Elwyn et al., in BMJ 2006; 333(7565) 417]
The current IPDAS Checklist consists of 12 Quality Dimensions, which are:
- Using A Systematic Development Process
- Providing Information About Options
- Presenting Probabilities
- Clarifying And Expressing Values
- Using Personal Stories
- Guiding / Coaching In Deliberation And Communication
- Disclosing Conflicts Of Interest
- Delivering Decision Aids On The Internet
- Balancing The Presentation of Information and Options
- Addressing Health Literacy
- Basing Information On Comprehensive, Critically Appraised, And Up-To-Date Syntheses Of The Scientific Evidence
- Establishing The Effectiveness
Each of these 12 Quality Dimensions incorporates several dimension-specific Quality Criteria.
Given rapid developments in this field, itís necessary for the IPDAS Collaboration to regularly review the Quality Dimensions / Quality Criteria.
- Some of the current Quality Dimensions / Quality Criteria may need to be replaced.
- New Quality Dimensions / Quality Criteria may need to be added to the current Checklist.
The Purpose of this Questionnaire
The IPDAS Collaborationís Steering Committee invites you to provide us with your opinion about
modifying the existing–or adding new–Quality Dimensions / Quality Criteria to the IPDAS Checklist.
Please copy and paste the questions below into an email message, provide the requested information and send it to
Submissions will be reviewed by the IPDAS Collaborationís Steering Committee.
||Date of submission:
||Name of applicant(s) and contact information (including email address):
||Proposed quality dimension and/or criteria within existing dimension(s), including replacements:
||Rationale (please supply additional material if required):
||An aim of IPDAS is to have two leads for each quality dimension that represent different countries and
to include about 5 to 6 collaborators on developing the background document for each of the quality dimensions.
Who else are you aware of that is doing research on this topic and would likely be willing to collaborate:
||References: please provide any references that support your suggestion(s)
(include as many as you think are relevant, starting with the most relevant):